The Realm of Midgar
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Realm of Midgar

A New Realm Rises from the Ashes of the Past....

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Addressing some points

Go down 
+5
Judgement
Aodhfin Dragonwalker
Lucius Sulla
Kurai
Kreig Earthfury
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Kreig Earthfury

Kreig Earthfury

Addressing some points Empty
PostSubject: Addressing some points   Addressing some points Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 4:51 am

The practice on 12/6/09 was very......well, disconcerting. It was my first practice in three weeks time do to dealing with some sickness and the holidays. I came back to find that much of the positive, fair fighting that we at Midgar have tried to keep ourselves too has slipped. I can speak for more people than just myself that there are certain individuals rhino hiding on multiple occasions, people are attacking much harder than is necessary (a weapon was BROKEN at practice) and some other non-sportsman like behaviors were observed.
I don't find this very comforting that we've slipped into this so easily and that it's either being ignored, or that having taken a few steps back I'm just the first to notice it. Let's remember what's important here people, and despite our leaders unfortunate absence, lets not have him or other members, or new members come into something they can't be proud of. Right now, I'm not proud of what I saw out on the field and there are other persons who can back me on this point.
Back to top Go down
Kurai
Admin
Kurai

PostSubject: Re: Addressing some points   Addressing some points Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 7:06 am

It's exactly this kind of straightforwardness and willingness to call it as it's been seen that needs to be cultivated. If you are having recurring problems with a person, fix them quickly. If they refuse to be fixed, then cut them out. You don't need people being a detriment to your group.
Back to top Go down
Lucius Sulla

Lucius Sulla

PostSubject: Re: Addressing some points   Addressing some points Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 9:17 am

Kreig Earthfury wrote:
people are attacking much harder than is necessary (a weapon was BROKEN at practice) and some other non-sportsman like behaviors were observed.

this,yes.I know howlsing was injured more than once,hell I was pulled aside to check him for a dislocated shoulder,thankfully it wasn't and saw Rok take a blow that worried me enough to make sure he didn't have a separated retina as well as myself,i took a blow to the neck and am very sore,more so than any other time.

as far as unsportsman like behavior I think I am clueless here save one individual and I think it stems from me getting chosen as a team captain 3 weeks in a row over him,I have a solution for that- don't pick me as a team captain and rotate it so everyone gets a chance to lead a group.

I think I exhibit good sportsmanship and team ethic,I may be wrong here but I do feel this way.
just out there to have fun,feel some sense of a team and not get hurt.

I think perhaps grievances need to be aired in a healthy manner and if you have a problem you should address it in this manner and let unit commanders address problems one on one privately because in this situation honor is at stake as well as to preserve team integrity but as always it's quality over quantity.

I like you guys and I like this group and sport and wish very much that individual grudges and grievances not tear things apart,
and I really hope you aren't directing anything towards me,I respect you as a fighter and teammate.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/burnedbylife
Aodhfin Dragonwalker
Admin
Aodhfin Dragonwalker

PostSubject: Re: Addressing some points   Addressing some points Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 2:28 pm

Ok, does SOMEONE want to explain what in the hells happened at practice? Two weeks ago, everything was still going ok, as far as I knew.....correct? I need private messages, or phone calls, or Facebook chats, or SOMETHING here telling me what's going on.
Back to top Go down
https://midgar.forumotion.net
Judgement

Judgement

PostSubject: downhill?   Addressing some points Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 8:15 pm

I have to agree with Kreig on this one. Lately, it has seemed that the normal, good-natured type of practices we have been having have given way to a more competitive, no-nonsense, "meh" type of attitude. Mind you, I, like Kreig, took a few weeks off due to weather, seizures, and a sprained wrist, and when I returned it was like all the hard work we had done to teach that "quality" to our fighters, had given way to, run over them, knock them down, beat the crap out of them (hitting harder than is supposed to be allowed), weapons breaking under the strain, etc.

From what I understood when I first came to Midgar, the idea for this realm was to make quality fighters, who didn't need to cheese with large shields, and speed maces, or rap shots, or any of the other things that are considered cheesey. We have taken time to go over different tactics against shields, taken people aside for one on one training with differing techniques and weapons, even gone over the rules for varying small things that just needed addressing. All in all, we have done a decent job of instilling a "quality" training environment for practices. However, I think what is happening is that some of these issues are growing pains for Midgar, but they need to be addressed before they cause bigger issues.

Like Kurai said, "fix them quickly". I would assume this is so they don't become a bigger problem, Kurai can tell me if I am wrong on saying that. The reason to fix a problem quickly is because when a person is fighting they are not only developing a pattern of responses to differnt scenarios, but also developing muscle memory, how hard to hit, the techniques for how the weapon moves in your hands, and other things that make good fighters.

Lets not forget what ideals our realm was founded on, and try to bring back the training techniques, and attitudes needed to make us not only competitive against other realms, but to make us good and honorable fighters so that our realm can feel proud.
Back to top Go down
Kurai
Admin
Kurai

PostSubject: Re: Addressing some points   Addressing some points Icon_minitimeSun Dec 13, 2009 5:04 am

Something I would like to say is that if weapons are being broken from being used in a rougher than usual manner, rougher than what you guys are used to, that is, you probably need better materials to build with. PVC works great for a while, but if it's breaking down so easily, you might want to look into fiberglass.
And hitting hard is not a bad thing. Nor is running someone down, knocking them over and beating on them while they're on the ground. Happens to me all the time, just means that I have to work harder to not get owned.

I like the sound of what I'm hearing with the kind of environment there was as I hear it from Aodhfin. I know you guys don't know me, but since I did what was possible for me to do to help Aodhfin get Midgar going, this feels like it's my problem to solve too.

If people are not taking shots, then take it to whoever is in charge and they will pull the offender aside, let them know what's happening, and that it needs to stop.

If weapons are breaking, look at the construction method, the materials used and go from there.

Competitiveness is not a bad thing and will make you better fighters, assuming you cultivate a good relationship inside the realm and don't let realm problems spill over into real life.

And I'd like to ask where the "harder than allowed" thing came from. The weapons are meant to be designed in such a way that even when swung baseball style they wont break anything or leave major bruises. If they will, but pass on lower levels, then you need to take them apart and rebuild in a better manner. Don't punish people for hitting hard, reward them! It's better than tap fighting, that's not what Dag is for. But do make sure that the weapons being used meet all safety requirements. And I mean that. Make sure or you're going to have some very unhappy members!

And on a side note, adding to my wall of text, if people are wanting to use lighter weapons, wrap shots, flails, large shields, things that are considered cheesy, feel free. It's their fantasy, it's their way to improve. And it lets others improve because of it. If you all stay with the same equipment, sure, you'll know how to fight that equipment at a certain level. But when faced with new things, you'll be screwed. Learning by fighting against and with the various kinds of equipment out there is what's going to make you guys improve as fighters.

I'll make a trip down there eventually, to give you guys a bit of a training course on contemporary and widely accepted, or common fighting styles you'll see, but until then, keep practicing, fight with honor, and don't do anything you would be ashamed of. Even if you are evil. Okay? And I mean this with all sincerity.

Keep it up guys, you're doin' well. Wink

Kurai
Back to top Go down
Aodhfin Dragonwalker
Admin
Aodhfin Dragonwalker

PostSubject: Re: Addressing some points   Addressing some points Icon_minitimeSun Dec 13, 2009 8:36 am

If things have devolving of late, why is it that nothing has been said to me of late? Why wasn't any of this brought to Rok last week? C'mon guys, just cuz I wasn't there doesn't mean lose your minds. Crying or Very sad

Look, Kurai is spot on with his post. And Kai, you are correct in your assumption that fixing the problem quickly is to try and fix things before it gets set into their fighting habits. Here is what I ask of everyone, here and now: If you have a problem, you come to me. If I am not there, you find either Starfire or Rok. If I know that NONE of us will be there, I will make sure to appoint a designated leader for that practice for that day. This way (hopefully), things WILL get handled before anything gets out of hand. However, you guys, EVERYONE, needs to make sure that you come to an official. It's our job to take care of potential or existing problems in the realm. And, although I hate this rule, the officials have the power to ask fighters to not return IF their actions shed a bad light on Dagorhir as a whole. If the fighters change their actions instead of or after returning (think probationary period), then great, no worries. I honestly don't want to ever have to use that rule, and I definitely don't want to be forced into the position of using that power (same power that event officials have), and I will be making an announcement about that, as well as other things. Midgar is coming alive and growing, and the officials need to come into their full power as such (even if I don't like it at all).

Things will be dealt with. Period.
Back to top Go down
Judgement

Judgement

PostSubject: Okay...   Addressing some points Icon_minitimeSun Dec 13, 2009 11:22 pm

Now, I would like to point out that I am just making observations from what I have seen from when I first joined, to what I saw on the practice on 12-06-09. We have some Rhinohiding, but I think if we catch it, it won't become a big problem. We have some "harder than neccessary" shots happening, which I got a definition of what a too hard shot is supposed to be from Chen as he is way more qualified to judge than I am and has the credentials to back it up. According to Chen, when you are testing a weapon to determine if it is safe, the light and medium swings are what normal hits in Dagorhir are supposed to be, and the third "hard" baseball swing is to determine that the weapon is safe vs. accidental hard hits from charging impacts, etc. However he did say that the third type of swing is not the amount of force that is to be used normally in Dagorhir. Now, he's been doing this a heck of alot longer than I have, and from what I have gathered, longer than any of the people currently in our realm, so I am inclined to believe him.

I have checked the new rules to see if there is a specific one stating "how hard a person should hit", but there isn't one. I can say, though, that for safety's sake, that hit's should not normally be the third level, or "hard" hits. I would also like to point out that with a foam weapon, if you swing it hard enough, it will not matter what it is made out of, something will break on it.

As for competitiveness, Kurai is right, it can make you a better fighter and drive you to learn new skills and techniques, but too much of anything is a bad thing, and when it comes to this kind of sport it tends to show itself in Rhinohiding, or some other less savory behaviors.

And the reason it wasn't brought to Rok, or Starfire or any of the other officials is because it wasn't till we sat down and started discussing it amongst ourselves at a role-playing session that we figured out that it was really becoming a problem. You figure you see a little cheese, or Rhinohiding during a practice that its something that comes with the territory, you talk to the guy, try and figure out the problem, talk to someone else to make sure its not just you, and go from there. Going straight to an official when you see something you don't think is right right off the bat tends to be looked at with distain, so you have to go through the proper course of action to try and get a problem resolved.

So I will reinterate that there have been some behaviors that need some fixing, and leave it at that. If there are specific issues that need examples I can site them, but I will only do that in a private forum so as to not upset anyone who might confuse trying to make things better for the realm, as a personal attack.
Back to top Go down
Kurai
Admin
Kurai

PostSubject: Re: Addressing some points   Addressing some points Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 12:13 am

I want to point out that while Chen may seem to have a valid point, if you think about it logically, what he said makes little sense. We are going to be hit hard, and if you don't like being hit that hard then you need to either move, or block, cause you can't whine at people for that. If weapons are breaking, again, look at the construction, not the people. I don't care how good you guys may think the weapon construction down there is, I can tell you that it could be a lot better. If you're using PVC, switch to fiberglass. If the foam is separating, use better adhesives. Be anal retentive about the building. If, after all that, the weapons still break, THEN you look at the person.

Mind you this is all really pointed at the "hitting too hard" and weapon breaking thing. As for Rhinohiding? Take a step back? Are you SURE you hit them? Ask them, "Hey, did I get anything?" It's an honor based game. You worry about YOUR honor, let them worry about THEIRS! If it is a big problem that persists then it only makes sense that someone will call them out or it may pass. Hell, just hit them harder. If you break a weapon on someone and they still aren't taking hits, get a new weapon and start over. Beat them till they take it and scream dead.
Back to top Go down
Aodhfin Dragonwalker
Admin
Aodhfin Dragonwalker

PostSubject: Re: Addressing some points   Addressing some points Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 2:20 pm

*sigh* Ok everyone. This is when I get to be all Presidential and all of that other stuff that I don't like to be and do. So, here goes.

In Dagorhir, a safe weapon is one that will not bruise or break bones with a baseball bat swing. That is a rule, and it means this: There will be baseball bat swings. That's what the weapons are made for, everything from one handing it to two handing it. That is why we check light, medium and hard hits. Because there WILL BE hard hits. Do they always happen at practice? No. Do they always happen at an event? No. However, at practice, they happen much less than at an event. Just for a comparison here:

Practice: 25-50= percentage of hard hits that will almost assuredly occur.

Event: 75-100= percentage of hard hits that will almost assuredly occur.

And that's not even counting the red weapons. That's just the one handed BLUES, gentlemen. I can't stress this enough, and we've been keeping it in check at practice. HARD HITS WILL HAPPEN. WHEN WE ARE PRACTICING FOR AN EVENT OR GOING TO AN EVENT, HARD HITS WILL HAPPEN MORE FREQUENTLY. We are not trying to kill each other at practice, but at events we go for blood (without actually bleeding). If that doesn't make sense, I'll put it another way: At practice, we hit hard and take light. At events, we hit hardER and take light. Now, onto rhinohiding: In Midgar, if there is a rhinohider that WILL NOT change his ways, we beat him til he screams dead. Plain and simple. I don't care how many weapons break. That is a rule in Midgar. We do not tolerate rhinohiding in our realm. Obviously, if we host an event, we can't enact that policy. However, the event officials CAN remove the person from the event if their actions are damaging to the sport of Dagorhir. And yes, rhinohiding is damaging to the sport as a whole. It makes us look bad, no differently than if we cuss all the time for no reason. Which, of course, everyone does, but we still need to make sure we watch ourselves when there are non-Dagorhirrim spectators.
Back to top Go down
Ansgeirr

Ansgeirr

PostSubject: Re: Addressing some points   Addressing some points Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 5:07 pm

I would like to note that I came to this practice, and both me and god know that i'm a very competitive hard hitting rhino hider.

Bare with me for a second though, while I do know that I have a problem taking hits, I totally do I admit it, i mean sometimes a hit's really light, and its one of the obvious ones to not take, but sometimes i get hit in a way in which I dont really know that I've been hit and it takes me a little while to be like...wtf was that? and I want you all to know that if you think you hit me, and i didnt take it, you can yell at me, but do it as imediately as you can, not 5 minutes afterwards, I can get really into a fight and not realize someone else is hitting me. I do remember one time when I was being stabbed in the side on the castle, I think it was Brent stabbing me, but I could not feel it, and I apologize for that.

On my next note, I hit hard, at least in the medium-hard range for any given swing, I was taught this way, and I had to fight people who were the same way for the longest time, and it was with those people that I developed into the player I am today. I had to throw hits as hard as I could for people to take them, and I didnt take light hits because they wouldnt take mine.

I remember when I was a new fighter, and I've seen this with many new fighters, but when I was new, I would take just about any hit that came my way, no matter whether or not it was glancing or absurdly light. But within a few months I hit this breaking point where I just changed, it was like I had learned what not to take and when you are fighting someone experienced, no they wont take all your little hits, you have to knock the shit out of them and make your stand.

Back to my swinging, my main hits are in the medium-hard range, but if you havent heard already: when I test weapons, I test Light, Medium, Hard, and Tanner. Why? because I know even though you think that you are performing a hard swing, I can probably kick it up about 5 notches, I can make any weapon that is nice and fluffy feel like a tool of pain. I also like testing the Tanner range for safety, because I have been warned about swings from certain individuals via Orrin. I have my wooden shield, and I was told by someone who has fought much longer than I have that I should be weary that there are those that could not only break my shield, but break it and my arm inside it.

One thing I will say that I observed that I found issue with was not that people were rhinohiding, not that people were hitting too hard, but I was watching someone wield a red against a shield, and the hits that I saw were extremely light, and would by no means actually break a shield in a real situation. And I did not just observe it when it happened against the girl that I brought, while I do understand not hitting as hard against a girl, the red swings against a shield need to be a lot more harder and solid.

Despite the fact that I do hit hard, to my memory I do not believe it was me that caused the injuries on the battle field that day, I may have hit someone in the eye at some point, and I apologize for that, but I know for a fact that I was away from the field when the question of someone's shoulder being dislocated occurred. I actually have a problem with this, now I know I did not view the hitting in this incident, and I know that I did not witness any weapon testing that day, but from what I did see, all the weapons seemed as though they would pass, and all the ones I saw had passed in previous practices that I have been to. Now I do not know who caused the possible shoulder injury, but i would like the said person to know that if you have problems with how hard you hit, talk to me, we'll get it handled, but then again idk. However, if you think you and this goes for anyone, that you are all badass and are hitting hard, try me, I will grab any given red that borderline passes and I will show you a new form of pain; and this is coming from the fun loving goofball you know that also happens to be pretty competitive on the field, and I dont want to threaten anyone or put them in their place, because I'm usually the one that just lets things slide/fly, if i need to get serious, I will, cuz you are all my bros, and I dont want anyone getting hurt.

As for the girl I brought, if there was any instances of her hitting too hard or she rhinohided any shots, please tell me and I'll take care of it, keep in mind that I'm the one who's been teaching her, so she has the chance of hitting too hard or rhinohiding like I do at times.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/WandererTJ?ref=profile
Ansgeirr

Ansgeirr

PostSubject: Re: Addressing some points   Addressing some points Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 5:07 pm

holy shit that ^ ^ ^ ^ is long, but please still try to read it

also, if people happen to hit harder and rhinohide more when I come, I'll see what I can do to fix this.
Back to top Go down
Raalcorr the Warborn

Raalcorr the Warborn

PostSubject: No Worries   Addressing some points Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 2:42 am

Neither you nor the lady caused any problems. The weapon that broke was the knife that Rok and I were wrestling over. It detached from it's core. That's it. Nothing big or epic, it just detached. When it did, we immediately stopped until we got a new knife. As for injuries, I felt bad that I hurt Howlsing. But he understood what he was getting into when he suggested that we charge each other. He was fine later that night. Rok got hit in the eye by someone, I don't remember who, but he is just fine. It was an accident, they happen. I didn't know about Sulla's injury until these posts. As for hitting hard, I hit hard. Period. Hit hard, take light, that's how this works. We are not here to play tappy-tap. We are dagorhirrim! We don't tap! I personally am not very good at finesse. I'm learning, but for now my best weapons are sturdy and strong. I will get faster, more accurate, and more versatile. And I will do that by hitting hard and taking light. But not too light.
I truly hope that ya'll come back sometime. The more willing people that come to fight, the better.The way that we will get better is to learn as many different people's techniques as we can. Robert A. Heinlein said, "Specialization is for the insects."
Back to top Go down
Ansgeirr

Ansgeirr

PostSubject: Re: Addressing some points   Addressing some points Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 3:39 am

Raalcorr the Warborn wrote:

"hitting hard and taking light. But not too light."

haha, this puts a smile on my face.

Oh and just so everyone knows, sunday there is a good chance that my good ol' greenskin brother(no relation) OGG will be showing up, and also, there is a chance that I may show up
Back to top Go down
Lucius Sulla

Lucius Sulla

PostSubject: Re: Addressing some points   Addressing some points Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 7:55 am

Raalcorr the Warborn wrote:
. I didn't know about Sulla's injury until these posts. "

meh,I just shook it off man,wasn't a major deal for me and not the first time my old ass has come back home sore or limping,Aodhfin says it right hit hard and take light.
this is all past now,lets move on.
Sunday looks to be warm.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/burnedbylife
Ansgeirr

Ansgeirr

PostSubject: Re: Addressing some points   Addressing some points Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 11:52 am

I am glad to hear about the weather report for sunday, lets hope it holds true...that way i can stay garbed up and not have to wear a mundane jacket

also as much as love taking commands from the futuristic box of voices, Aodhfachu you need to show up Smile
I pwomise to not use you for weapon testing if you arent willing

but i do have a new toy, and as much as I know that it does pass by every standard it needs to be tested Razz
Back to top Go down
Kreig Earthfury

Kreig Earthfury

PostSubject: Re: Addressing some points   Addressing some points Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 3:34 pm

[quote="Ansgeirr"]I would like to note that I came to this practice, and both me and god know that i'm a very competitive hard hitting rhino hider.

Hey Ahnz, not to be critical, but if you know all these things and freely admit them, why not take measures to correct them instead of just saying you are and then just letting it go. I used to hit hard, and people told me I did, I took the criticism to heart and have been working to soften my blows. I even changed my fighting style to one that requires less power and more control and skill. I get far fewer calls on how hard I hit now. It's that easy to do if you're just willing to put forth a little effort and correct the problem.
Back to top Go down
Raalcorr the Warborn

Raalcorr the Warborn

PostSubject: Hit Hard, Take Light   Addressing some points Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 2:40 am

Hit Hard, Take Light. That's the idea. He hits hard, he takes light. Why should he change that? Why should any of us? If someone doesn't like getting hit, hard or otherwise, they shouldn't be involved in a full-contact event.
Back to top Go down
Ansgeirr

Ansgeirr

PostSubject: Re: Addressing some points   Addressing some points Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 4:29 am

i think Tsollo has volunteered to be a weapon checking back for sunday Addressing some points Icon_twisted lol
Back to top Go down
Aodhfin Dragonwalker
Admin
Aodhfin Dragonwalker

PostSubject: Re: Addressing some points   Addressing some points Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 11:40 am

I believe the rhino hiding part was a bit of sarcasm, but knowing Ahnz....well, you never actually truly know. I'll be talking about hit judging, so and so forth on Sunday. There is a all-for-fun tourney this Saturday, so watch for my post.
Back to top Go down
Kreig Earthfury

Kreig Earthfury

PostSubject: Re: Addressing some points   Addressing some points Icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 3:14 am

The weapon that was broken that I was speaking of was Kaimetsuo/Judgement's red/green warblade. And while I can understand that since accidents are going to happen that hard hits are going to happen is all part of participating in a full contact sport, but it sounds to me like several people are saying that "hard hits are gonna happen and that's okay." The point is that it isn't okay, even if it does happen. If you and everyone else around knows that you hit hard, rhinohide, or both. YOU need to fix it or YOU need to get out of Midgar. And while excepting criticism gracefully can often be difficult for ones pride, I know when all I kept hearing from people was. "I'm hitting too hard" I didn't like hearing it and so I did things to correct it. And to further my next point, ignoring criticism or blowing it off with sarcasm or apathy should also not be acceptable. Ignoring what you're doing is the same thing as performing the unwanted act. For the most part the path this thread has taken has not resolved my issue. I'm sure that rules above and beyond those stated in the MoA and any other Dagorhir releases are acceptable as long as they fit with the foremost rule; which is safety, playability, realism. Just because it's done everywhere else doesn't mean it is gonna be done here. Midgar's popularity has been carried on the shoulders of the fact that we aren't going to do it like every other realm does, we're going to do it right and we're going to do it better.
I'd ask that something definitive be said about this by someone who creates Midgar law so that everyone can know what the final word is. Do not spare people's feelings, you won't make everyone happy. Just do it, beating around the bush doesn't solve the issue. If you don't like that final answer, then you obviously aren't part of what's best for Midgar and you need to take your leave. If you can except it, then take pride in the decision you've made and follow it through. It is an honor based sport after all, so everyone needs to discover the meaning of that honor, because else wise, you have none.
I can live without Dagorhir, I choose to come because I enjoy it. I'm here to make friends, but when I feel like coming to practice is a chore because of the people who are only out there to win the game and not play it, that's not what it's supposed to be about. I'm sure this post is definitely going to stir up something, but hopefully when the dust clears from this, we will have a better Midgar because of it.
Back to top Go down
Kurai
Admin
Kurai

PostSubject: Re: Addressing some points   Addressing some points Icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 3:48 am

A couple things about the last post:

Hitting hard has never been against the rules. I guess I'm not understanding you properly when you say hard hitting. However, I was under the impression, from the videos that I saw, that you guys are all a good, solid group of relatively big boys. Either there is some tender skin out there or you guys mean something else when you say hard hitting.

To some, playing to win is playing the game. It's a game of conflict. One side is always going to win. Not necessarily the same side, but one side or another is going to win. Deal with that fact.

If someone broke Kai's sword, they should probably either help fix it, or, like we do, inherit the remains and rebuild it.

I'm concerned where it was determined that hitting hard and looking to win the fight was considered bad or cheesy. It is neither. Just as some people want to have fun and just go out and swing a foam covered stick, others have fun by winning or trying to really push themselves. People caught in the moment are also bound to hit hard. You're all, I believe, grownups. You should easily be able to find a fix to this problem, if it is even that. The only one I've heard so far is Rhinohiding. Stop the rhinohiding quickly. Unless someone is hitting in a way that causes danger to the other participants, it's not a problem. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but at least please supply some sort of reference for what you guys consider normal hits as compared to "too hard" hits.
Back to top Go down
Aodhfin Dragonwalker
Admin
Aodhfin Dragonwalker

PostSubject: Re: Addressing some points   Addressing some points Icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 11:47 am

In case anyone is wondering, since I'm the President of Midgar (essentially, the Tribal Leader of Midgar), I'M the one who creates the laws. From what I'm hearing in this thread, there is a call to add rules about hard hits and the like. Because of that, I will do so. Here's a preview:

Weapon Usage and Battle Practices

1. Do not tear up the realm weapons or other fighter's weaponry. This includes dragging on the ground, hitting trees, picking at the tape/glue/foam/covers, and disarming with the intent of breaking the opponent's weapon. If such actions occur, the offender must take the necessary actions to replace what was broken. However, if the weapon is being used properly and an accident occurs that exploits a flaw in the weapon design, then the owner of said weapon will be responsible for fixing the weapon and eliminating the flaw in future weapons of the like (i.e. wrong kind of core, too much flex, not enough support for a stabbing tip, etc etc.). Also, remember to ALWAYS clear broken weaponry off the field.

2. Rhinohiding is NOT PERMITTED within the Realm Members. If a Member is found to be blatantly rhinohiding, then he/she will be warned/talked to and worked with to resolve the problem. If, within two practices, no improvement is made, another warning will be issued. By the third practice after the initial warning, and the problem is still not resolved or even made progress upon, the fighter will receive a final warning and ultimatum: Take your hits, or you WILL be pounded into the ground EVERY fight until you take your hits. If you do not approve, then stop rhinohiding or leave Midgar.

3. Head and neck shots are ILLEGAL with blue, red, and green weapons, as put forth by the Dagorhir Manual of Arms. If an accidental head/neck shot occurs, ten (10) pushups or situps or laps (on an approved track) is required. If the physical activity cannot be performed, then the fighter will sit out for ten (10) minutes. If an INTENTIONAL head shot occurs, the fighter will be warned and pulled from fighting for the rest of the day.

4. When judging hits, hit hard and take light. The hardest hit that can be taken is a full baseball bat swing with two hands, as per the Dagorhir Manual of Arms. The lightest hit that can be taken must still have substantial force to be recongized as a solid hit. Dagorhir is an honor based, full contact, combat oriented sport. Take your hits, and give them right back. All hits are subject to the participant's own personal honor.

5. No fighter is allowed to call a death on another fighter, excluding archers (ONLY FOR CLARIFICATION). Heralds are the first and last word on the field, regardless of what the fighter(s) believe or not. If the herald did not see anything, or did not have a good enough view to make a fair call....BLOW IT OFF AND KEEP FIGHTING. DO NOT HOLD UP A FIGHT BECAUSE YOU THINK YOU GOT A RAW DEAL, AND DO NOT TAKE IT OUT ON THE OTHER FIGHTERS ON THE FIELD. BE AN HONORABLE FIGHTER, NOT A WHINY LITTLE D-BAG. Basically, if you killed him/her once, you can probably do it again. So do it again.

These rules, and others if need be, will be added to Constitution and Laws of the Realm of Midgar. If anyone has any issues, or needs clarification, please let me know promptly, and I will either address the issue or tell you to blow me.

Razz Not really, I'm just kidding.....or am I???? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Aodhfin Dragonwalker
Admin
Aodhfin Dragonwalker

PostSubject: Re: Addressing some points   Addressing some points Icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 2:46 pm

Midgar, if everyone remembers correctly, was formed to be something apart from the tappy-tap fighters in Dagorhir. Meaning hard hits, full hits, techniques, strategy. Where all weapons have a place, from tower shields to punch shields, quarterstaffs to giant weapons, flails, javelins, arrows, maces, swords, all of them have a place on the field. That's what Midgar was formed on. Honor, not douchebaggery. Skill and force, married together and used in combat and battle. THAT'S what Midgar was founded upon. The belief that we can fight with skill and power, all the while bettering ourselves as warriors. I keep hearing how hard hits aren't allowed, so on and so forth. This is false. It specifically says that a safe Dagorhir weapon will not break bones or bruise when swung like a baseball bat. It also says that to COUNT as a hit, it only needs to have substantial force. That's called a range, gentlemen. As in, the lightest hit must have substantial force, and the hardest hit cannot break bones with a two handed baseball bat swing. That's why we test light, medium, hard. Because those are the hits in Dagorhir. If you are hitting hard enough to break bones with one hand, you need to lighten your hits or inspect/work on the weapon. Otherwise, your fine.
Back to top Go down
Kreig Earthfury

Kreig Earthfury

PostSubject: Re: Addressing some points   Addressing some points Icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 3:32 pm

Thank you for the strong clarification Aodhfin, that's what I was looking for. I appreciate it very much.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Addressing some points   Addressing some points Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Addressing some points
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Realm of Midgar :: General Discussion-
Jump to: